Thursday, November 10, 2005

Just another Wednesday

Before I get started I want to clarify a small point from an earlier Heeb post. I have won 2 multis (and finished an additional fourth) in tourneys with at least 800 runners. I hate to blow my own horn, but someone has to point out the most accomplished poker player in this group...

Ok, now on to an interesting adventure last night (and into this morning). I made the trek up to Pechanga alone again. I invited Sinatra and the Heeb (of course), but only heard excuses of no money and fatherhood.. I am on that road myself so I will cut them a break. I arrived to the poker room around 11:15 and took an open 4/8 while I waited for a 8/16 seat to open. Not much happened here except for the usual 2 outer on the river and the mumblings of donkeys on how nothing ever goes there way. JJ held (unbelieveable) in the one pot I did play for a 20 dollar profit before I left this sad group to their chasing and complaining.

On to 8/16 after a 30-40 minute wait. I bought in for an additional 140 putting me to 250 in front of me. I would feel more comfortable w/ 400 but for some reason eveyone here always buys in for 1 rack of 2.00 chips. Why break tradition? I have seat 4, which coincidently was the same seat that turned in that stack of chips that I have a picture of on my cell phone. I'm not much of a storyteller but I will try to give you a description of the players before I get into a few hands and results.

Seat 1: GG, Grouchy Guy. This was actually 2 different guys during my 5 hour session, but they were very similar. Both started at 200 and lost it before they left. Both played weak tight, and expected to lose every time.
Seat 2: WLA, Wierd Asian Lady. I have seen her but never played with her before . Imagine a pastel blue sweatsuit, too much makeup and intelligible speech. Started w/ 200 and was about even after 5 hours. She plays pretty well; I noticed if she calls the turn, she will call the river, even with a busted hand.
Seat 3: OT, "One Time", I hear people call him Bob, but that can't be his name. He is an older Asian guy who wears a floppy hat. I have played with him at least 3 or 4 times. He played about 50% of the hands and called every draw he had a chance at. Most times he will announce "one time" before calling. One thing is for sure, if he thinks he has an out, he is calling to the end. Needless to say he won a few big pots but eventually lost over 400.
Seat 4: Our hero
Seat 5: UCS, Ultimate Calling Station. She had at least 1200-1500 in front of her. Do not try to bully her, she is calling w/ 3rd pair and no kicker. I was lucky to see this happen 3 times before i even played a hand. She was a 50ish European sitting next to her maniac husband/boyfriend. I was pleased to see her under 800 before I left.
Seat 6: M, Maniac. He quickly became my nemesis. He was the most volatile of the group, at times up big, but frequently re-buying. He played at least 75% of the hands. He was down at least 600 when I left.
Seat 7: No consistent player here. When there was a board we got a new player, but the maniac always seemed to scare them away.
Seat 8: Shades. He was a good player, tight agressive. He spent his time reading and listening to music. When he took a break, he actually removed his hat and glasses and I realized he was at least 40, when I originally guessed 20-24. He was a bit cocky, but someone to look out for. He would limp w/ AK and JJ, which was confusing. Good thing it worked against him as much as it helped him. He was up 600+ when I left.
Seat 9: There were a mix of players here also. My favorite was a young girl and her friend who sat down, played every hand and lost 200 in 15 minutes. LOL, go play 2/4 moron.

So after I buy in , I have 3 hands to the BB. While I'm waiting, I start to make observations, order a soda and formulate strategy. I am laughing at myself thinking it would be great to sit between this ugly European couple. You know, calling station on my right and maniac to my left.
Hand 1: A3 spades in the bb. M raises; Shades, GG and One Time all call. How can I resist? Flop comes 933, two diamonds. Nice start. I bet and... It is capped before it gets to me. What the hell am I doing here? Is this 2/4? I choose to call since I must be ahead. Unless.. there is a 99 out there. If I had 99, I would never raise the flop. I felt pretty good so far since everyone in the pot raised the flop except OT, and he must have diamonds anyway. Turn is a Qc. Good card. I bet since there is no reason to expect I wont be raised. M raises, all fold and OT calls. I call too. I repeat..What the hell? What did you call on the flop that is now no good? Ks on the river. Looks good for me so I check raise M, after OT folds. He reraises, I call to find......... K3 off! YAY, 3 outer. Second position raise w/ k3? This hand set the tone for the rest of the night, so I guess it was a blessing.
Round 2: Maniac has a kill pot (16/32). He is in the bb. All fold to me. I look down at QJc and raise. UTC and M both call. Great, 2 against 1. Flop comes K47, 2 spades. UTC checks, M Bets, I raise. She thinks for a minute and folds, then he folds immediately. Nice. This was the only time I tried to buy a pot from these two and it worked.

The rest of the night went pretty well. I won a big pot w/ KK, just jamming the pot. I played my cards when I got them and avoided getting tricky. All in all, it went well. cashed out for 1000 and some change at about 4:30. The game was down to 6 handed and Pai Gow was calling.

I left at 6:30 or so w/ 1500 in my pocket feeling pretty good. To bad I hit the fucking morning traffic in the rain and didnt get home until 7:45. Had to call in sick (and i definitely was by the time I got into bed).

Maybe the Donkey can move down so I will have someone to go play with next time.. I'll need help to carry my chips.......

1 comment:

BigHeeb91 said...

Haha... I didn't give you just props in my post? Okay, sorry.. I didn't mention that you have 2 wins.

He's also lasted longer than me in every major tournament we've played. WSOP Circuit, Festa Al Lago, etc.

Bitch.