Saturday, November 05, 2005

DOTW for Oct 31st

Hello all, it is time for the DOTW. Let's get right down to business.

1. Tiffany Williamson - I don't know how this woman made it to almost the final table and the biggest payout to a woman in WSOP history. She must have gotten really lucky. What was she waiting for in deciding whether or not to laydown her KJs. I mean you don't call an all in bet with that hand at that point of the biggest tournament in the world. I don't blame Sheikan for not showing her his hand either. I know she is inexperienced considering the stage some things can be looked over but that was ridiculous.

Now, since I recently started the DOTW, there was a lot of TV poker in the past that I didn't get a chance to review. So from time to time when I come across older poker events and there are some suspect players, I will discuss what I like to call "Classic Donkeys".

This week the "Classic Donkey" award goes to Danny Nguyen from the Bay 101 shooting stars WPT event this past March. The Action Donkey recently played in a tournament with the Donkey at his former place of employment Garden City. I don't know how he finished since I busted out in the 3rd level. Anyways back to why he is a donkey.

He got very lucky in that tournament. There are too many Donkeyish plays to recap them all. I'll highlight just a couple. Danny is in the small blind ($5,000-$10,000 blinds with $1,000 ante) and The great Dane Gus Hansen raises up to $28,000. Danny calls with 34 spades. Flop comes As-Kc-2d. The big blind who had K-10 I think bet's out for $100,000. Gus calls and so does Danny with a gutshot. He needs a 5. The turn is a Js and Danny then bets out $100,000. Big blind folds and Gus calls. River is the miracle 5 and Danny makes his gutshot and checks it to Gus hoping he would bet but Gus of course checked. I don't know maybe it was a great play, but I really don't think it was.

Ok, just one more because this post would be longer than War and Peace if I describe all of his donkey behavior. Quick thanks to my friends at Cardplayer for their meticulous event logs.

Hand #74 - Danny Nguyen goes all in again, and this time he is called by Shandor Szentkuti. Shandor has A-K, and Danny has A-7. The flop comes K-5-5, and Shandor is drawing dead to two running sevens. The turn card is the 7, causing the crowd to "ooh" and "aah," and giving Danny hope, but he's still a long shot. The river card is ... a 7!

Enough said.....Eeyaww-eeyaww

No comments: