Wednesday, June 28, 2006

We're in Vegas!

Off To A Good Start…

We arrived in Vegas around 8:00pm and immediately checked into our suite at the Grand View Resort. After dropping our stuff off, we got down to business and headed over to the Rio. I made good on my promise to buy dinner for Stewman since he outlasted me in the WPBT PokerStars tourney and we enjoyed our first 75 minutes in town at the world famous Rio Buffet. After filling our bellies we made our way to the Rio Pavilion where the 2006 World Series of Poker was being held. When we walked through the door, Stewman and I were in awe of the sight before us. There were over 200 tables and more than 500 people playing and watching the greatest poker event in the world. After sweating the final two tables of the 2006 Tournament of Champions, we got in the satellite line and eagerly awaited our opportunity to make our poker playing dream come true. I got called for my $65 satellite first and took my seat at table 76. Stewman got called about 15 minutes later and took his seat at table 89.

I took a hit early when during the second orbit I picked up AQ in second position and bumped it to 150 (blinds 25/25). It folded around to the SB and he smooth called. We saw the flop of J-10-x heads up. He checked, and I made a continuation bet of 250. He thought about it for 10 seconds or so and then asked for a chip count. He had me covered, but just called. The turn brought a 7 and the guy immediately led out for half my stack. With nothing but a gutshot straight draw and two overs with one card to come, I couldn’t risk calling off half my stack knowing that if I didn’t hit it on the river, I wouldn’t be able to bluff him out of the pot. I mucked and he said “nice fold”. I’m sure he had nothing.

A few hands later I was down to 475 chips (starting stack was 1000) and picked up AA in mid position. The player under the gun raised the standard 3 times the BB and the guy to his left called. I only had 325 more in chips and I pushed. It folded around to the original raiser and to my surprise, he folded! The original caller however did call and showed 33. Immediately, I sighed and turned over my hand. Everybody looked at me like I was crazy and the guy with 33 was already congratulating me. I wasn’t so sure though and felt sick when the dealer began to deal the flop. My hand did hold up and I tripled up to over 1400. The very next hand I got dealt KK in early position and jammed it for 350. No callers.

I didn’t play another hand until we got down to 6. I was being blinded down and sitting on the button when the short stack UTG made a bet for all his chips. It folded around to the player on my right who smooth called. I looked down and was pleasantly surprised when I saw two queens staring back at me. I announced that I too was all-in and the action was back on the caller to my right. He called and showed A9. The original raiser showed KJ and now I was worried. With 2 overcards in play, I had to dodge both an ace and a king. The flop brought a 3rd queen for me and A9 was drawing dead but KJ had a chance to go runner-runner for the straight. The turn was a blank and the river brought my 4th queen! I tripled up again and was sitting comfortably as the overwhelming chipleader 5 handed.

When we got down to 3, we were all about even in chips. I knew that if the two players got involved in a big pot, I would be about a 3-1 dog in chips. Of course, on the second hand of 3-way play, the other two players got all their money in the middle and just like that we were down to 2.

As soon as the hand was over, I offered a chop to the guy who had me 3-1. I offered him $325 and I would take $225 (for a total payout of $550). He correctly declined, and offered me a less favorable chop of $175 to me and $375 for him. I politely declined and we began heads-up play. For 4 hands, I went absolutely card dead and had to fold my SB twice and fold my BB to 2 raises. Before I knew it, I was dominated 8-1 and for some reason the guy says to me, “if you change your mind, the offer is still on the table”. I immediately take the deal and get paid out $170 (neither of us had change for $10). I tip the dealer $20 and walk away with a profit of $85.

I walked back to the satellite line and scanned the room for any sign of Stewman. I spot him at a table right in front of me and notice he’s playing 3 handed. After a few minutes, it was down to heads-up. I walked by the table trying not to disturb him and did a quick count of chips. They were almost exactly even in chips with blinds at only 150/300. I later found out that the his opponent offered a 50/50 chop but Stewman turned it down.

They played for about 10 minutes and didn’t see many flops. Stewman was playing very aggressive, raising every time he came into a pot. And then it happened.

Stewman was on the button and was in the SB for 200. He raised it to 1200 preflop and the BB called. The flop came out 6-2-2 rainbow. His opponent counts his chips and then pushes all-in. At the time, I didn’t know what Stewman had and just prayed he would fold. Stewman capped his cards and thought for about 90 seconds. He seemed to go through the motions in his head trying to figure out what hand his opponent had. A couple of times I thought he was going to throw his hand in the muck, but he shocked me when he eventually announced, “Okay… I call”. His opponent congratulated him on a good call and showed the bluff of Q4. Stewman flipped over A9! I wanted to jump for joy and pump my fist wildly in the air, but I kept my composure and watched the next two cards. His A high held up and he took the tourney down for a $550 win.

That is not a typo… Stewman won… AGAIN… in the first satellite he played on this trip!

Congrats to Stewman for making a great call and earning that win.

More updates to follow tomorrow.

~NBA~

No comments: