Saturday, January 06, 2007

Newsflash: AK does not beat AQ and Stewman owes NBA dinner... AGAIN!

Stewman flew in late yesterday afternoon and after dropping his bags off at the house we headed out to Pechanga for the 6:30 $10k guaranteed. 141 players entered and thanks to Pechanga's extremely ridiculous payout structure, only 7% of players would make the money.

I won the first pot of the day when I raised in EP with KJ, got two callers, hit my K on the flop and took it down uncontested. I knew it was going to be a good day.

A little later I picked up 88 in MP and raised to 3 x the BB and got 3 callers. I hit my set on the flop and bet out only about 1/4th of the pot and got one caller. The turn brought a straight draw so I jammed. The guy thought and thought and said, "I think you missed" but folded anyway.

A few hands later I pick up AQ from the SB with 2 limpers ahead of me and make the stupid decision to raise. The BB and both limpers call and the flop comes K-Q-x. I check and so do the other 3. The turn brings a harmless 2 and I bet out half the pot. The BB raises me all in (another 2100) and I have to call. I know I'm beat and when he flips over AK I lose half my stack.

I play very conservatively for the next hour or so, picking up pots with little resistance. Stewman approaches me after the first break to tell me he's doing well sitting at about 9k in chips. I'm happy for him, but I know my luck is about to change.

I pick up 33 in LP and limp with 1 caller ahead of me. Both blinds play and the flop comes A-2-4. It's checked around and I take a stab at it betting about 1/3rd of the pot. The SB then pushes all-in and it's folded back to me. It costs me exactly 1/2 of my chips to call it off and reluctantly I do. I announce that I'm making the worst call in the history of poker but get lucky when the turn brings me the 5 for the straight.

About 3 hands later I pick up 1010 in MP. The guy sitting to my right bumps it to 3 x the BB and I quickly call. The flop comes down J high with two clubs. He bets out and I glance back at my 1010 and see no club. I tell him I know I'm beat and I fold face up. He later tells me he had KK.

In the next round, the same guy raises it to 3 x the BB and I look down at 1010 again. I call and this time the flop comes down K high. He checks and I check behind. When the turn is a blank, he checks again and I bet out. He folds I take down the pot.

About 2 orbits later with the blinds 200/400, I'm on the button with Q9. There's one caller ahead of me and I make a loose position call. The SB folds and the BB checks his option. Flop comes 9-6-4 and the BB leads for out for 1200. The limper folds and I re-raise to 3000. He calls and the turn is a J. He checks and I check behind. The turn is a 2 and he checks. I know I'm missing a bet, but I check and show top pair. He shows 5-7 for a missed open-ended straight draw and I'm in good shape.

With blinds at 300/600, A short stack guy in seat 7 makes the announcement that he has to make a move soon and lucky for me he pushes for about 5000 in my BB. It's folded to me and I look at my first card. An 8. I tell him it doesn't look good for me and I check the second card. Another 8. I call and he shows AJ. The picture card on the flop is the J (OF COURSE) but to my surprise, the 8 is right behind. My set of 8s hold up and I win another big pot.

We're down to 5 tables and Stewman tells me he's out. We have a last-longer bet and I'm now the beneficiary of a free dinner. Thanks, Stewman!

Down to 3 tables and I'm getting short on chips. I guy is crippled when he moves all in with 33 vs 55 and K10. There's a 10 on the flop and the guy loses all but 4000 chips. Blinds are 1000/2000 and he pushes all in on the next hand. I look down at A9 and call. He shows Q2, never improves and I get a little more chips.

Over the next 40 minutes I play extremely conservative, folding 22 in MP with no callers before me and laying down AQ to a raise and re-raise pre-flop. With blinds at 1500/3000 I'm in the BB and UTG min-raises to 6000. It's folded to me and I see I have AK. I have about 17000 total, so I push for the rest and announce "All-in."

I say to him, "Hey there's no shame in folding here... that's almost the rest of your chips to call. I have the best hand... you don't want to go out 7 before the money, do you?"

He calls.

He shows AQ.

Other players are already congratulating me.

I know I'm the big favorite (72% to win). I yell out, "Can the best hand PLEASE hold up?? Common.. ONE TIME!!"

The flop brings a Q and I'm out. In 17th.

With Stewman as my witness, I again go deep into a big MTT tourney and lose to a suckout after getting all my money in as an overwhelming favorite.

I'm not going to even bother blogging about the ring game we sat down in a couple hours later... Let me just say that in the course of about 90 minutes, Stewman's AA was cracked by BOTH Q9 and 2-4. My flopped two pair was beat by river trips and my A10 (with a preflop raise in a killpot) was sucked out by A8.

I hate poker.

No comments: