Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Call me the "New Grinder"

So I decided to let off a little steam tonight after work and jumped on PP for 2 quick SNGs. I decided to multi-table and within the first 10 mins I was down to T485 and T530 respectfully.

Not the way I imagined this going.

Of course, my T530 table was a result of me not budging off my AQos with a 5x the BB raise, flopping and Ace and completely getting committed by the river. The other guy? Pocket Aces, OF COURSE!

So I grinded for the next 45 minutes. I played tight, laying down KQs in the BB to a raise and re-raise, layed down pocket 8s with a J high flop and folded AJ when my 3x BB raise was min re-raised. (Always suspicious...)

I made the right moves at the right time... moving all in with AK in early position and getting called by AQ. Doubled up twice off the blinds in the later rounds by moving in with small pocket pairs, and all together played great poker.

Here's my stats from that two-table session:

Hands Dealt: 268
Hands Won: 20% (54)
Showdowns Won: 92% (that's right... 92%!!)

---Flop Hands---

Flops Seen: 20% (54)
Win % if Flops Seen: 64% (34)

So let's do the math... I told you I took a hit when I committed myself against pocket aces. I also lost the last showdown when I got knocked out in 5th in that tournament. I lost 2 showdowns in that tournament and those were the only 2 I lost all night. I won every showdown in the other tournament.

I saw 54 flops, and won 54 hands. I lost exactly 2 showdowns over 268 hands. I spent $22 x 2 SNGs for a $44 investment. I won $100 for my one first place finish. That's a net gain of a whopping $56!! Woohoo!

You might say to yourself, "Geez... 268 hands is a lot for 2 tournaments" (especially when I got knocked out in 5th in one!). Why were there so many hands played? Well, typical PP fish... we get down to 5 handed and the small stacks proceed to double-up hand after hand when they move all-in with any ace against the big stacks holding inferior cards every time.

Gotta love it...

No comments: