Monday, March 13, 2006

Donkey brought back down to earth

So I had my longest streak of winning sessions in a while snapped at 4 and it was brutal. I lost $400 in less than 2 hours and I didn't play bad at all. I played 9 hands to the river and won 1 and that was when I was in all for 10 chips and was heads up against the bb with my A10 vs. her A5. The other 8 hands I had the best hand till the river. I lost to 4 flushes, 3 2 pairs made(2 of which were 2nd pair on the flop) and a gutshot straight. Even some of the other players were commenting on my bad luck. So that night after feeling depressed and after eating some comfort food from Taco Bell, I ventured back into the realm of Party Poker. I haven't played since the upgrade and I like the changes I've seen so far. They have a decent bonus going this month so I deposited $100.

I played in the $22 buy-in tourney, my favorite with which I have had moderate luck in. One things I've noticed is that the fields are a lot smaller for these events than in the past. I don't know why. This tournament only had 381 people, usually it has 6-7 hundred. Anyways, I'm in the 2nd level and have been up and down so far hovering around the starting stack of T3000. I pick up 45 in mp and had 2 limpers before me and 2 limpers after me, sb called then the bb raises to T120 (double the bb). We all call and there is T840 in the pot. Flop comes Q45. Checks to me and I bet T500. Folds to the bb and he immediately raises to T1500. I just can't call, either fold or all in. I don't think he has a set of Q's so I figure I'm good. I move all in and he instantly calls with 76o. So he is open ended and I need a 4 or 5 for the nuts. Of course the turn is a 3 and river a blank and I'm gone. WTF was this play by this guy. Bad luck but what can you do. I played last night in the same tourney and once again a smaller field. I double up about 5 minutes into the field when my AQ flopped a set and a guy moved all in with the nut flush draw and didn't hit. I had over T6000 now and just playing solid and tight. I'm around T5000 when in the 4th level (I think blinds 100-200) a guy moves all in in 1st position for about T3000. I have JJ and move all in for protection for my final T5000 and the chip leader calls us both. Chip leader has AK, I have Jacks and the 1st position guy has 10's. Flop is all rags and the turn is...of course a king and I bust out. If I won that hand, I would have been probably top 10 in chips. I got my money in with the best and it didn't hold up, that's poker. So then I played a $6 speed tournament that night which is capped at 250 people and is always maxed out but not tonight. First time I've seen this happen. Only 170 people played. I had about T4300 in the 3rd level when something happened to my connection. I don't know what happened. I couldn't get to any other site but PP wasn't working. After about 10 minutes of nothing, I was able to reconnect and I was down to T800 (antes had started and blinds at 600-1200). Then the cards were dealt and my connection went out again. I said screw it and went to bed. So lost another $6 to some weird technical issue. Maybe this is a sign from the poker gods to stop playing for a while.

No comments: