Sunday, January 22, 2006

3 1/2 hours = $6 and one great read

So I had the itch to play some live poker on Saturday and with nothing to do I decided to go over to Bay 101 to play some 6-12 action. I waited an hour to play (nothing new on a weekend) and then sat down to play. 3rd hand in I am dealt AKs (diamonds) and raise UTG to $12. Guy next to me calls and the bb calls. Flop comes K73 all spades. I bet, 2nd position calls and the bb raises. Now I'm thinking great this guy has a flush and I lose again. I call and so does 2nd position. I check the turn which is a rag and so does the guy next to me. BB bets I call and so does 2nd. River is Ace of hearts. I now have top 2 but I check, so does 2nd and so does bb. I never see what the bb has but the guy in 2nd wins with 5-2 of spades. WTF??????? Arghh, tired of this donkey shit. To his credit though, the guy was a good player and left up about $700 for the night but I don't get the call here.

So I am down to about $50 left and after about 30 minutes and I'm thinking here we go again. I wait longer to play than I actually play for. Anyways, I win 2 pots in a row and am now up a little. I grind up and down for the next hour or so and then win 3 straight hands to be up about $100. From there on I ended up chopping 4 pots including this beauty:

I limp with 109o. Flop comes Jc8c3d. Checks to me in late position and I bet my open ender. Small blind (very tight player) raises, every one folds and I call. It is just him and me heads up. Turn is my gin card Qh. I bet he raises, I reraise, he reraises, I reraise and he reraises. Now I know he has 109 too and he has to know I have it also, so why does he keep raising???? Well my friends, that's because he has the straight flush draw. I figured he had 109c, the only reason to keep reraising. So after 5 reraises I just call. River is Kh, he bets and I just call knowing it is a chop. He flips over his 109c and we chop. Now this loudmouth who thought he could get a read off anyone was saying how come I just didn't keep reraising the turn if I had the nuts. I tried to explain to him that I knew what the guy had. So why keep reraising with the guy drawing to 9 outs to beat me. He said I should have kept reraising because I had the nuts up to that point. I disagreed since I was extremely certain of my read. Was I right or wrong? Please I want feedback? I think I was right!!

Well after playing for 3 1/2 hours, I finished up $6. I am actually happy with this result if you can believe it. If I hadn't chopped any of those pots, I would have been up probably at least $300-$400 if not more but hey I was down, grinded back up and eventually left slightly up. A lot of my reads were right on which really boosts my confidence that my live game action may be turning around (I had been on a horrible run in 2005). I want to go back tonight but will probably just relax at home after work today.

Oh yeah one more thing, I had AK 8 times in 3 1/2 hours. Never seen it so much in my life. I chopped 2 of the pots (they also had AK...what are the odds????), won 3 and lost 3. I guess about right.

No comments: