Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Prop Bet King

So we're still a week away from our annual WSOP trip out to Vegas and already I'm up $140 in prop bets!

It started when Stewman and I were chatting online during the Masters golf tournament. It was the 72nd hole and Tiger was down by one and putting for the tie to force a playoff the next day.

Stewman says, "Want to bet he misses?"

Of course, never one to bet AGAINST tiger, I decline, but offer him this instead:

"Assuming he misses, I'll give you 3-to-1 if he's left or right, 5-to-1 if he's short."

Like a donkey, he says, "I'll take 5-to-1 he leaves it short."

Ha. Money in the bag. Tiger's not going to leave the championship tying put on the 72nd hole short.

+ $10

Then, we placed a little side action on a recent Pokerstars FPP tournament. It was a $50 last longer on their daily 40 FPP + Rebuys.

It's a turbo style MTT with blinds increasing every 5 minutes so you have to accumulate chips quickly just to stand a chance. After numerous re-buys and the add-on at the first break, we were both even at 3500 chips at the end of the re-buy period.

It took me just a couple hands to nearly double up after picking up a decent sized pot on the flop, and unfortunately for Stewman, it took him that long to lose about half his chips.

Needless to say, I cruised to victory in that one.

$10
+ $50
------
$60

The next prop bet had me playing in that same 40 FPP + Rebuy tourney a couple days later. I got lucky early on and tripled up with a big hand in a 3-way all-in pot. After I sent the hand history to Stewman, he asked me if he could get action on the outcome and put up $10 betting I wouldn't cash (only 41 out of 950 cashed in this tournament). I told him I'd give him action, but I wanted 10-to-1 odds. We negotiated a bit and finally settled on a $10 bet and he gave me 6-to-1. (which actually worked out pretty heavily in his favor since less than 5% of the field would cash).

Since I had chipped up early, I played extremely conservative and just picked on the smaller stacks and blinds in LP. When we got down to hand-to-hand play at 48 people left, I was severely short stacked (I had less than 60k in chips with blinds at 10k/20k and doubling every 5 minutes). We got down to 43 left with 41 cashing and it was my big blind. I was all-in in the blind for my remaining 36k with A-8os. A guy from EP limped with A-10, we flopped the Ace but his kicker held and I was sent to the rail. FORTUNATELY for me, 3 other players were also knocked out on that very same hand and I had them all out-chipped. I finished in 40th place and made good on another prop bet.

$10
$50
+ $60
------
$120

Stewman and I then decided to play in the 1,000 FPP satellite awarding 1 WSOP Main Event entry that night. Again, we put some money on a last-longer bet, this time making it only $20.

After 2 hands, Stewman was severely short stacked, losing more than half his stack with 7-7 and A-K.

I hadn't played a pot yet, but was confident that I would walk away with this one, too.

Stewman says to me, "I'm not worried... I play excellent short-stack poker."

He was out 10 minutes later.

$10
+ $50
+ $60
+ $20
------
$140

So as it stands now, Stewman's in the hole $140 to me. I told him I would only make good on the debt through alcoholic beverages, to be dispersed throughout the weekend in Vegas. I'm pretty sure much of that will go towards sake at Nobu Thursday night...

Since we're both action donkeys, I'm sure this won't be the end of the prop betting before the trip, so I'll keep everybody updated with my future winnings.

1 comment:

Stewman said...

Of course you don't mention how I practically have won all past prop bets...including the last won prior to the past weekend where you said Matusow would make the final table and I said he wouldn't. Of course the donkey didn't. Too bad we only bet a beer.