Wednesday, December 28, 2005

It's been a while

Hello all, I haven't posted since my 2nd a few weeks back. Things were going great for a while now, they have reverted back to crap. I look back on my play in the tourney where I finished 2nd and realized that I played well (not great) and got very lucky and some premium hands at the right time. A few examples.

blinds 25/50 1st position raises 5x's to 250. I'm in the cutoff with AKs. I smooth call. Flop comes KKK. I flop da NUTS!!! He checks, I check. Turn is a rag, he bets, I call. River he bets, I raise him and he moves all in (I have him barely covered) and his QQ lose to my QUADS. 2 levels later, I'm chip leader and open up in 1st position with KK. Guy right next moves all in and shorter stack moves all in from SB. I call and my kings hold up to beat QQ's and Ten's. About 5 hands later I win another all in with my AA's beating KK's. I just played uber tight till the final table where I entered I believe 2 or 3 in chips. When we were 4 handed, I was chip leader but soon that changed. I don't remember the hand but it dropped me to 3rd in chips. Final 3 I was shortstacked for most of it but let the 2 big stacks battle it out. Finally the 2nd chip guy busted out and I was heads up with a 4-1 chip disadvantage. First hand of heads up play was all it took. We were basically allin with my AJo vs. 83s. He flopped a 3, turned an 8 and I hit a jack on the river. Overall I was very happy taking home over a $1000 for a $10 investment.

Prior to that and after that I was primarily playing 10+1 SNG's and was playing really well. I had a return on investment of over 40% and was up over $200 playing them. Then the 24th and 25th rolled around and a combination of playing poorly, getting sucked out on, and not knowing when to quit while up in 2/4 (why I started and then kept playing ring games is a mystery to me) saw me lose all the money in my account. I then bought in for another $100 and started playing the speed torunaments. Boy do I love those. I played the $5 and $10 ones and they have huge fields but go super fast. I didn't cash in any of those though. I then played a 20+2 and cashed in that one. 27th place (out of I believe 451 people), good for $43. Anyways, lost that $100 too and last night bought in for another $100 and this is it for a while. No more buying in if I lose this quickly like the last $100. Must stop playing. So I played 3 SNGS, finshed 2, 4, and 10, good for a $3 dollar loss.
Then I played a $5 speed tournament last night. Over 1100 people with first place being about $1200. I was second in chips at my table with a little over 200 people left. They pay top 140. Now I want to get all of your opinions on this because I don't know if I did the right move. I believe I did and just took a bad beat but tell me please so I don't make it again.

I have about 10,500 in chips and the chip leader has about 11,000. The chip leader is in first position and moves all in. Blinds at 500-1000 (blinds raising every 3 minutes). I know he probably has a medium strengthed hand, just trying to steal blinds because he has been doing this and sucking out on people all tourney long. A guy in 3rd position after using all of his timebank moves all in for $3200. I know I have him beat because he is desperate. I have AKo on the button. Approximately 14-15,000 in the pot. Not the best pot-odds but I know I have the best hand. If I call and win, I will be tourney chip leader and cripple a larger stack. If I don't, I'm still top 10 in chips. I call and 1st position shows A10 and the shortstack shows AJ. I have them both dominated. Great position for me, so I thought. The flop comes King high which is great for me except for the next 2 cards. QJ. 1st position flops da nuts and I'm down to runner runner. I lose of course and finish 205 and out of the money. I keep thinking about it and my read was right but just got unlucky...but should I have called in the first place, that is the question?? Comments appreciated.

1 comment:

BigHeeb91 said...

First of all, if you value my opinion at all, STOP PLAYING TURBOS. They are horrible formats and luck plays WAAAY too much a role. Second, I don't think anybody is trying to steal blinds from UTG, so it was a bad idea to call there. Even if he is holding a mid pocket pair pair, you are on the wrong end of a coinflip and 3-handed you have really dug yourself a hole.

Of course, when it turns out they are both holding A-x and you are the favorite pre-flop, there is always a possibility that you will lose the hand to the ever-so-popular "three-outer suckout".

I don't love the call here, but I think your thought process is getting much better before making the call.